Sunday, June 07, 2009

Donna

I'm having a hard time getting my head around some news we got this weekend. My favorite Vermont friend passed away. We didn't even know she was sick. Apparently she found out she had pancreatic cancer in January and passed away in March at the age of 49.
We would see her when we visit VT and usually share a lot of laughs. She was in an asian/caucasian marriage to a man from Doylestown, PA, a discovery I found out when I saw Tanner's bags in her craft area and asked about them. How odd to find bags from a store ten minutes away from my home in PA miles and miles away in Vermont.
When we'd visit there were often friendly gatherings. If I found out Donna wasn't attending I just rather stay at home in front of the fire. Probably my best memory of her will be driving 3 hours to Boston with Boo, Boo's aunt and another friend for dimsum and asian food shopping. We had so much fun and so many laughes and we never seemed to mind the squooshed pile of three folks in the backseat. She was such a bubbling pile of joy and humor and was part of the lucky group of soccer players friends... Parents versus the kids matches occured weekly, pot lucks, carpools, and general merriment were a year round activity. I have no idea how her 15 year old daughter is managing but I can only imagine its really rough. The kids and parents up in their town are very, very close, more so than any families i've ever seen before. She was exactly the kind of friend you wanted and kind of mom you wanted to be. Whenever we'd leave Vermont I'd say to Boo how I wish we had her in our town and not just get to see her once a year. A bit of glimmer has gone out in my favorite vermont town, I'll miss you Donna, our visits will not be the same without you there.

7 Comments:

Blogger wheelinsticks said...

Oh Mindy I am sorry to hear the news. She will be missed, buit well thought of because of the person she was. Keep her memory.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Kara said...

:( So sorry. She sounds like she was a wonderful person.

9:22 AM  
Blogger maitai said...

mindy, i am so sorry for your loss. she sounds like a wonderful person and i have no doubt she will be missed. hugs.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

Sorry about your friend. My dad is struggle with pancreatic cancer right now, it is rough.

11:54 AM  
Blogger TammyB said...

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like Donna was a really great person. ((hugs))

4:33 PM  
Blogger 7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Everyone naturally comforts family members, but for friends the pang can be nearly as deep. She sounds really neat.

7:36 PM  
Blogger daiva e said...

Sorry for your loss. Donna sounds like she was a very wonderful person.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home