Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Taking lessons from other readers

I have put down Mr Norell and Jonathan Strange....it has possibilities but I'm not feeling it right now. I've been reading Ann Fessler: The Girls Who Went Away : The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wade which I found through Annie's blog... Its interesting but at the same time... I wanna go, I get it, they couldn't get birth control and the women got all the blame and shame...what do you want me to do go back in time and change that? I think I was raised with and perhaps others were with the idea that other generations with very abstinant and such but frankly I've learned that a) i was raised effed up, and b) all generations got their freak on... they just didn't advertise it and make it as big as a deal as we do today. Frankly I think we need to be more closeted about our sexuality...not our choices of male or females but just sex is so out everywhere...all over tv, internet, everywhere...
I was watching the Nanny last night and the 13 year old looked freaking 17..... she wasn't skanky or anything but everything was so out in the open...you look older, you look sexier....things happen sooner versus later.... and this girl who killed her family at 12... looks older which gets her an older boyfriend of course... both are sort of batshit crazy..she needed some internet monitors....
http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0107/1702_canadian_murders.html
So no real point to this post, just what I'm reading at the moment. I'd love to read a similiar type book about the Chinese mothers since I'm interested in that route one day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be shocking, but I totally agree with you on the whole sex thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a healthy male who definitely loves boobs, but as a society I think we need to keep our clothes on a bit. It's EVERYWHERE at all times of the day. What kind of a message does that send to kids?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have healthy discussions about sex, as keeping things Taboo is a BadThing™ in my opinion. However, I certainly think there's a middle ground between never talking about it and having it permeate every aspect of our lives.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Crafty and Crap said...

Perfectly stated...

3:12 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is pretty tough to get into, but ultimately it's very worth reading.

You're right - previous generations were definitely more modest, but no less randy. I read somewhere (I don't have a link, quote, or anything other than my somewhat poor memory) that when they first arrived in North America, there were several Quaker children born within eight months of marriage. And they were known for their "high" moral standards.

I agree that we tend to flaunt sexuality too much these days; between a typical episode of Friends and seeing parents "sexy up" their pre-teen daughters for beauty pageants, I want to stick my head in the sand. I absolutely hope we can find that middle ground someday.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home