Friday, January 08, 2010

A new view...

I recently found that 3 of my coworkers have not read a book since college. I was completely shocked and learned I totally assumed people read after schooling or at least those who have gone to higher learning academies. Sure I may take a break from reading here and there but I assume that most people read at some point in a year. Maybe they've had a book on a night table for 6 months, maybe they have a book waiting to be read on some vacation etc but apparently this isn't true. I don't know why but this totally baffles me. I'm a daughter of a teacher who also used to volunteer at the library. Heck I used to volunteer at the library. Of course I was the good kid there on my own while other kids where there to serve to community service time for crimes unknown, I totally should have been corrupted but I'm too hard headed to be corrupted. I think my hard head is good at times but I probably should have had a more carefree time in my youth. Not much to say but I am just baffled by the zero reading people and am shocked at my own ignorance.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ann Konzen said...

What do they do? I guess plunk around on the computer all evening? Yikes. I don't think I could sleep without reading something first.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ahhh, as an english major, i hang my head in shame. yes, i've read a book or two in the past year; however, the computer is sucking my reading energy into the blogosphere and fb and twitter. *gasp* i'm sort of a reference geek who may be the fastest googler west of hampton, and i rarely watch tv, that counts for something, right? but, i do take note of your point and agree. we should read more. i miss the feeling and smell of the pages myself.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous JDawg said...

In terms of books, I'm in the same group. I've read exactly one since I graduated college, and that was this past semester and it was required. I read the hell out of online news articles, magazines, journals, and useless knitting posts by Jews from Philly, though.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Roni JJ said...

Oh my, seems a bit extreme to me. I can't imagine not reading something. It's the only way I can go to sleep anymore...I go through 2-3 books a week!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I don't read nearly as many books now as I did before I started knitting again. I've probably read at least a thousand since I got out of college though.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home