Friday, January 30, 2009

A Public Service

I recently introduced a 60 year old coworker and her 75 year old husband to a crazy, wild, fantastic candy. Swedish Fish! Really!?! She hadn't had it before. She now is in love as I think most people are. Growing up we sold them at cupcake sales, got baggies of them at the swim club 24 for 25 cents. In fact I learned to steal change from my mom so could sneak up and get swedish fish. I'd bring them home and hid them in my clock ala Claudia from the BabySitters style..
They are not sea kittens or unkosher catfish so eat your swedish fish, they are effing fantastic. I personally am purist and prefer the red ones... Those mixed bags are a waste of my time.
I actually searched the internet to see if swedish fish are kosher... the responses are hilarious... Forums that people ask if swedish fish are kosher and get responses like the below:
"Fish has to be kosher too. That which has fins and scales." -Obviously this person had not heard of swedish fish
"If the fish candy doesn't have a kosher heksher then you can't trust it to be kosher.Anything processed should have a kosher heksher on it. Better to eat fruit."
"Those little red gummy fish? They're just sugar, like gummy bears. Is concentrated, refined sugar with food coloring pressed into the form of a sea creature un-kosher? I don't know how the Jews roll."
"most likely no, am not familiar with the Swedish fish candy, but if they have sugar, than they are not, sugar is processed. no processed food stuff in Kosher food (kosher=pure). read the package, if not stated or no icon for Kosher, than they are not kosher, thats simple enough." - Dude, if i worried about how the sugar is processed i'd kill myself and take all the candy down with me... meat and dairy, clean animal, unclean animal...thats enough to worry about.
Alas once seeing this site and reading this great trip to kosher stores (nothing life my own experiences) I think my precious fish are not kosher since they make "kosher" versions (ie can call them gummy gefilte fish).. gotta say.. i'm couldn't care less, me and my treif fish will live together and sweet, sweet, red gummy sin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home