Sunday, August 10, 2008

you're all sick of all these crap rappers

So I just heard American Boy this week by Estelle and kanye and i really like it. It got me thinking about a discussion the jury had on a break this week at my jury duty call.. they were talking about how rap/hip-hop didn't use to be so dirty or bad infuencing.. well while I'd have to say White Lines which was originally celebrating cocaine did call me ho or a bitch its not quite a positive song either. I think the difference these days is just it all gets on the radio.... I prefer when we couldn't say anything on radio and tv. Maybe its a bit less realistic to call someone a jerk instead of an ass or a bitch but I'm okay with that.
Anywho it got me feeling my old age as I turn stations off because I'm tired of moist thong songs. While half the world is singing about Superman that ho without knowing the meaning behind it I'm thinking there are still some songs that are great beats without being downright nasty. I was singing along to Airforce Ones last week and i sat there wondering if I was missing any dirty undertones... I enjoy Mr. Pretentious, I mean Kayne, a lot and while he may have some songs that dip into the other meanings I can listen without feeling like I'm supporting the "bitch, ho, panty dropping" songs. I also listen to a lot of Outkast. My last album purchase was all panty talk between songs but alot of songs themselves were fine. They seem to be inbetween, just depends on the song but most of the radio play seems ok.
Anyway I'm getting old or uptight. I'm just tired of the nastiness. Sure slick rick can't sleep with the wrinkled pussy of Sally's mom but I definately don't feel all bent out of shape when I listen to Ladidadi as i do half the new songs I've heard on the radio in the last year.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to like Kanye, but I can't stand him since the Katrina thing.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Ink Stained Roni said...

I totally agree!!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really dig kanye's "two words" but when it comes to rappers and hip hop, my new favorite is gym class heroes, for sure. they're the only modern hip hop band i can think of that actually has a full band, and their stuff is catchy as hell without being offensive.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez... I am so old. But I did know that when the elementary kids and parents were doing the Superman that ho dance on the Catholic School parking lot at Back to School night acting all cool like they knew what's up that there was irony afoot.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home