Monday, April 16, 2007

Well at least its starting to get interesting


I'm a fan of a few groups of books. I do enjoy some scifi / fantasy but alot of it is pure shit...JK Roling and that lord of the ring's guy aren't the only good series writers. And frankly before the movies I heard more complaining about Mr. Paid By the Sentence. So this average chic is trying to find some series... Currently I'm reading some story that just is trying to be all Lord of the Rings and if we change a word around maybe its a bit different...like elves are now an Welves..pretty bad huh? But I read that if you like the book you'll love the series and sometimes a book has to introduce alot before it sums itself up and gets to be considered good so I'm forging forward. Its not as complicated as some stuff where you need a freaking ven diagram to keep track of who does what and has been where.

Maybe I need to switch over to another genre right now because I'm putting alot of pressure on books to be good when in reality I think I may be feeling the desire for a good bio or generic fiction instead...As the mother in law brought up this weekend, she likes 3rd world fiction writers.... I do too....Sometimes they have a lot more angst that I can read and not snark at versus romantic comedy stuff that I can't get through without thinking suck it up chica.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as you can see from my diagram, I'm not only in my bedroom, but also the hallway. :)

in book news, I gave up on Octavian Nothing last night and listed it for sale on half.com. I figure if I'm not into it after 30 pages, I shouldn't waste my time. :)

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kara; don't waste your time if you can't get into it. I loved Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, which is fantasy but also very philosophical and a great adventure story. They're in the kids' lit section but are really not for kids at all. I absolutely loved them, devoured them, reread them occasionally. I'll lend them to you if you like.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two series come to mind, and they are very different from each other:

First is the Anita Blake series by Laurel K Hamilton. Smutty at times, in a darker side of Harlequin kind of way, but the development of the characters is really well done. Around book six you realize how much Anita has changed from her experiences, and she realizes it too. I like them, but admit I've lost track where in the series I've left off, so I don't know how far behind I am.

The other is the "Tales of the City" series by Armistead Maupin. Set in San Francisco in the '70s, it follows a group of people connected by a boarding house. When I got to the last 10 pages of the last book, I cried. I didn't want it to be over. I wanted to know what happened to them all. 6 books wasn't enough.

Anyway, that's what came to mind right away.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N: I would love to borrow some philip Pullman. I keep returning him to the shelf at bookstores...

Jenn... I should totally read tales of the city. I've heard nothing but good and the tv show was even good in my mind... Smutty i'm not so into but i can always try a few chapters.

I have a list on my fridge right now of solo books to try but something about the summer makes me want a series...

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got one word for you: DUNE

8:47 AM  
Blogger daiva e said...

I liked the Anita Blake series until it got to be more sex than story - 6 books in maybe...

I know you're not into romances, but you should consider the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. They're big meaty books, lots of history (scotland and early US), the characters are superbly done. Melissa K recommended them to me last summer and I've got them all and I bought a set for my mom and she loved them, too.

Have you tried the Honor Harrington series by David Weber? It's scifi and I really like the main character. I've got these as well. Maybe you should take a trip out to my library sometime...

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home