Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jewishness

I feel like I'm a world of anti religion.... the young hip forward thinking folks scoff at G-d....what do i believe, not sure... but there is a young world that goes with the Eddie Izzard/Golden Rule approach we'd all be good - If you don't want it done to you.. don't do it to others. Don't want to be murdered, well don't kill others..
Well fine, that great and I don't think heavily about religion its just part of who I am and if we were to go secular the holidays I still see them being based on the big JC. I can't see past that. They aren't just about gifts and candy to me.
I keep kosher, its part of who i am, I know its a pain, i know its not "normal" but not doing it feels like cutting off an arm. With Boo home and my house being the place to go for my friends I feel like I'm being ganged up on to not keep kosher. Its not happening. Do i have a good reason to keep kosher, guess not, i don't think G-d is going to smote me. But the idea of giving it up hurts me inside like a pain I can't explain, it makes me want to cry. Why, I don't know.... i can't explain it.. so stop asking me to do it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's who you are, it's what you believe and feel, and "they" need to deal with it. You can't explain it more succinctly than you have. -L

10:47 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh gosh, I never mean to make you feel ganged up on. I want you to know that I respect the fact that you keep kosher, and would never ask you to do otherwise. It's who you are and what's important to you; don't ever change that.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

amen. And PS: It is normal... for Jews. Of course there are ways to give and take and you DO do that already. Just like Ben can only cook meat (I conceed on chicken nuggets) outside. Why? Because I say so. If he did do it again inside, he would have seperate dishes too (and have to scrub the oven because he's so damn messy). Why? Because I say so. That's just enough sometimes.

Don't back down on it, it will just make you hostile and angry towards your loved ones.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Ink Stained Roni said...

You know what Mind, this is my mid-western, livin with a house full of guys answer but piss on em! I mean really, you shouldn't have to change who you are and what you belive in because they don't do it! Damn it that makes me so mad they make you feel that way. It's none of their freakin business anyway! Sorry but it really upsets me to see you so upset!

4:30 PM  
Blogger daiva e said...

You know, people don't ask vegearians to start eating meat (or at least I wouldn't), so as far as I'm concerned, this is the same thing. Your keeping kosher has never been a big deal when we've gotten together. It's who you are, but you make accomodations (you don't refuse to eat at places that aren't kosher, etc). In your home you should be able to do what you want and not feel guilty or pressured to change that.

5:22 PM  
Blogger wheelinsticks said...

Do what is best for you. Everyone will live with it. That's why were freinds!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It's your house; don't let anyone make you feel bad about how you live.
Of course, the person you live with is a bit different in terms of dealing w/these things. There are some things that might be annoying that you let slide, but others are important and you shouldn't have to budge. I think this is one of those things.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's something we all deal with when we make a house and care, isn't it. Hopefully now that it's out in the open, things will be easier. I understand about the observance thing being part of your core, part of who you've become -- there is a deep-seated bias in this country against following rules, you know?

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home